Saturday, June 13, 2015

Last Days at Rising Star

Hey Everybody,

I'm sitting here at my apartment in Salt Lake and I'm missing India so bad.  The last couple of days were great and I've consciously been avoiding this blog because I didn't want to talk about leaving ha.  

Monday was the last day I went to a colony and that was a great clinic.  It was one of the colonies I had been to already and it was nice seeing some familiar faces.  From that point on we stayed on campus and helped with checkups and vaccinations for the kids.  It was really cute/sad to see the new kindergartners having to get their shots.  Luckily I only prepared the syringes and didn't have to inject any of them, because they were so scared and cried so hard.  Even when I was doing blood pressures, they got really freaked out but they toughed out that one for the most part.  

We did that in our scheduled time and in my free time I mostly hung out/played with the kids during their play time.  It was really fun playing soccer and learning how to play cricket with them.  These kids live really far away from their homes so it's nice to give them the love and attention that they need.  In the evenings, we did hygiene talks one night (talking about showering, keeping rooms clean, washing hands, etc.), finger nail clipping the next and delousing (applying lice shampoo) on my last night right before I left.

I really hit it off with the 10th graders, and they kept having me do stuff with them.  Minutes before I packed up my things I went over to their hostel and said good bye.  Although we didn't have alot of time with the kids, them not being in school for most of the time I was in India, I got really close with them and it was really hard saying good bye to them. 

Yesterday was a really long travel day again but I made it here without any issues.

My overall experience in India was incredible.  Being able to work alongside/serve so many incredible people is something I will never forget.  A thought that I kept having while I was there is best described by Mahatma Gandhi: "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."  I realized that this is why I loved my mission so much, and also why I loved India.  You really do become your best self when you put other's people needs ahead of your own.  

I'm so grateful to everybody who made this trip possible, I can't say that enough.  This trip really helped me realize the type of person I want to be, the career path I'm choosing, and how I want to spend my time helping others with the skills I have acquired.  I encourage anybody who is on the fence about getting involved in something like this to DO IT!  I loved it so much and hope that all of you get the chance to help your fellow man, especially those that are in great need.




Niveta took us to a temple nearby and taught us
some of the local beliefs


Building a big rock tower represents building
a large family and future.






Picture with the boys

After they swallowed me up 

Good bye Rising Star
Last night with my boys

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that you had a good experience. I know it's sad being home, but it will be nice seeing you at work again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a rock star!! Thanks for your incredible service! You're already a legend at Rising Star! It will take someone pretty awesome to replace you--you left a lot of love in India.

    ReplyDelete